Sunday, January 9, 2011

Skiing Recap

Good Morning!

I love Sundays. Today's plan is a great breakfast (on egg over hard, one slice of whole wheat toast with natural blackberry spread, and a clementine!), picking up the house a bit, hit the gym, then my favorite thrift store for dollar Sunday, Trader Joe's and writing a freelance story for Shout Magazine. Last night was a lot of fun. I had a pretty intense workout in the morning, BodyPump and Zumba back to back. I don't know what happened, but after my workout I felt extremely weak and shaky, and as though I was going to pass out. Luckily I had brought a PowerBar Chocolate Harvest Grain bar with me. My gym was also handing out free samples of Whole Grain Cheerios. I scarfed both of those down so fast!

So skiing! Absolutely one of my favorite winter sports. Granted, I am not the best at it. As a matter of fact, I am extremely uncoordinated and look like an action figurine.


However, I love the way my body feels after 6+ hours of skiing! It was nice to get a workout outside of the gym for a few days.

We drove to Western Nebraska last Thursday from Omaha. Total time: roughly 6.5 hours. Jason's parents live in the Panhandle, so we were able to catch up on some sleep before heading to Denver the next day. We originally had planned on going to Terry Peak in South Dakota, but there was a blizzard moving in that changed our plans. Let's just say that the drive from Western Nebraska to Denver is usually 3-4 hours. It took us 7.5.

Once we got to Winter Park, we were finally able to relax with some friends in a condo for New Year's Eve.


There was outdoor hot tubbing in -20 degree weather.


Crazy tubing! We seriously went so fast that I screamed the whole way down.


Friday and Saturday we stayed in the condo in Winter Park. Sunday we decided to pack it up and head to Copper Mountain for three days of skiing and fun.


It was so much fun! Jason and I got to have some time to ourselves to ski, fall, laugh, drink a bit, eat terribly, and enjoy the fresh mountain air. It was beautiful and absolutely rejuvenating!


I decided to head back to Omaha on Wednesday night so I could make it to work for the last few days of the week.


As we were driving back from Copper Mountain, we of course had to stop at our favorite breakfast place in Denver, a place called Dozens.


It is a local, tiny, wonderful little cafe just down the street from the Art Museum. Jason had an omelet with all the fixins' and toast, and I had strawberry stuffed french toast with ham. Add some french press coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice and I was ready for the long drive home.



We stopped in Cheyenne, Wyoming on the way to take a peek at the downtown area, a place that, as my husband puts it, "time has forgotten." After finally making it to Nebraska, and driving through three states in one day, I made it back to Omaha around 11:00 at night, over 500 miles and 12 hours later. I love vacations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment